Sunday, February 18, 2007

Really Cool Combo

My wife and I decided to go ahead and get the shoes that go along with the iPod Nanos we got ourselves, so that we could plug in to the Nike website and see what our workouts look like as graphs, with the data posted in a way that we can easily see whats what. It is very cool, and after some initial problems getting registered on the Nike site, then it has been very easy. We have posted 2 walks each, which we did together, and I like it. During the week I will be striving to get my average speed up, and my distance up. We are both walking for our workouts, not running, because of our age and also that we aren't in as good shape as we used to be. I used to cycle several thousand miles per year, and my wife used to swim several hundred miles per year, so then we were doing pretty good. I had a major bike crash and haven't ridden for mileage since.

At work the "Interim Acting Executive Director", who is a clueless former Accounting Manager for our organization, but very "safe" from the biggies point of view since she doesn't not know how to analyze or make decisions, has made 2 major faux pas that I am taking note of. First, she made a big deal about a month ago that she wanted to make sure to get input from all of us about how often the all-staff meetings should be held. By far, the input showed that once per month was plenty, and she told us that was the result. Then last Wednesday, during the first of the supposedly once a month meetings, she said that despite the input from us, she had decided that the meetings would be held every two weeks. So much for giving input, which I won't offer any more. Then, last Thursday evening about an hour before quitting time, there were only 3 of us in the cubicle area, and all of us know and like each other very well, so I was keeping the volume on my iTunes going into my headphones loud enough for the other two to hear, which they had requested, and we were starting to enjoy ourselves, although still at our desks working, and were sending occaisional jokes back and forth, when all of a sudden the "Interim Acting Executive Director" came around the corner and said that she had heard too much "giggling" out here and wondered what was going on. I shut down iTunes right away, and we didn't say anything to her, but obviously we finished the day very quietly and alone. She has also started to dress like really fancy, like some account exec for a bank or something. It is actually embarrassing. I understand what is going on, and that when a person gets put in a position way over their head, they grasp at anything to try to be the part. I have compassion for her, but it is quite destructive to the organization, because people are tuning out more and more, and a couple have already started interviewing. Maybe that is what the biggies have in mind.

No comments: