Friday, February 23, 2007

Walking, Woods, & Earthquakes

Slow day at work today, and so after I sent off emails to my boss and colleagues, responding to their requests, my wife and I got away for an hour or so to take a walk in the redwoods *:-) I telecommute on Fridays, and am very careful not to abuse my privilege but today it felt ok to get away for what would ordinarily be a lunch hour. We got back in plenty of time, and no harm was done.

As my wife lay in bed just before nodding off tonight, she turned on her little emergency radio and heard that there had been 4 small earthquakes north of us. This explained why, as we began our walk in the redwoods, she could not keep her eyes off the top of the redwoods and actually stopped still just as we were getting going, and stared at the tops of the redwoods. She didn't remark on it at the time, and did not connect it to the earthquakes, although she is known to be nearly as sensitive to their arrivals as are the animals. Sure enough, the radio report confirmed that the quakes happened at the same time she was staring at the tree tops. She has vowed to pay more attention to her natural information input in the future.

No comments: