Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Extra Combo VCR-DVD Recorder, Bad Fries (Fry's)

Extra Combo VCR-DVD Recorder:
Logic failed me. We have a project where we need to convert a couple hundred VHS tapes to DVDs. My logic said that it would be most effective to have a single unit that could do both. When it was very difficult to find one like that, I should have known something was up. I finally found a high quality machine at Fry's Electronics, and they promised me it would do what I needed. It doesn't. The proper solution is a stand-alone VCR, a stand-alone DVD recorder, and a stand-alone TV monitor. I now have both solutions and will be donating the combo unit to a worthy cause (cash would be nice).

Bad Fries (Fry's):
Fry's lied to me. No question about it. I have a problem with Fry's because I spent over one hour talking to several departments before I purchased the combo VCR-DVD unit and they lied to me in two ways:
1. They said no TV monitor would be required to use the machine. WRONG. It is impossible to set up the machine for different audio/video performance without using the remote which requires a TV monitor to see the commands. Pisses me off! *:-(
2. They said, no they positively strongly encouraged me, to go ahead and take the unit home and try it and there would be absolutely no problem in bringing it back if it did not do what I needed. WRONG. It has been 17 days since I bought it and since Fry's is quite a drive from my home I called to schedule an appointment to return it and was told that there is a 15 day limit on returns for the particular device I purchased. Pisses me off! *:-(
I will be spreading the news about how Fry's behaves whenever I can. I feel better now *:-)

Movie Recommendations:
"Nero Wolfe: {all seasons}" (2001) - Yes, see it. OC+

Lee's OC Index:
OC+ = High potential healing and/or educational message for people with OCD tendencies.
OC- = Low potential healing and/or educational message for people with OCD tendencies.

No comments: