Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It Is Done. The Worst Of Times, The Best Of Times.

The training I delivered today was for and to the most local group of faculty that I am asked to train, and hence the session could have been very difficult, since "a poet is rarely respected in his own land". Also, I was concerned because many of those in the session are ex-employees of Dark Nebula and could have verbalized difficult questions for me to answer. My strategy was to go to the training site a day early to make sure the set-up was configured, and at the same time make a point of chatting with the ex-employees, so I could get all the discussions and dirt-digging out of the way. It worked. The ex-employees actually ended up being very good students and were complementary toward my efforts in the session. Also, the IT student assistant they assigned to me was the most helpful SA I have ever worked with. He even taught me where to park my car to avoid the $25 tickets that are vigorously handed out by the local cops, and he even gave me $1.25 in quarters to get the meter started in the all day parking area he sent me to. Unbelievably enough, he also worked harder than I did, which is rare.

Because this training is done, I feel both a large sense of relief, and a large feeling of exhaustion. I did not realize I was so worried about it. When I got home, and took the aspirin I had forgotten to take with me but which I needed much, and got my feet into the epsom salts bath, while sitting next to my wife in the computer area of our home, I crashed into a deep sleep and was snoring so loudly that I woke myself up *:-)

I am glad to be home and will not be on the road again until this Sunday.

No comments: