Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sun! Sun! (that's why we don't live in Oregon anymore *:-)

Really nice and quite nurturing for us to be in our rooms as they fill with the spectrum of colors coming from the crystals (some motorized) that we have in the windows of the South and Southwest sides of our home. We loved Oregon for its closeness to and fullness with Nature, but there just was not enough sun to keep us balanced. When the kids came along, we got tired of seeing them having to be bundled up or waterproofed when they were outside during almost 9 months of the year. So, after getting some guidance from a good source, we packed as much as we could into our VW van (we had a total of 7 different VW vans during the, ahem, semi-hippie years) and set off for California, not having any idea of what would happen, or if we would stay.
We did stay, and have stayed, and hope to stay *:-)
There is enough breaking sun during even the most difficult and cloudy of times here that we can remain balanced and comfortable in trusting that warmth and light will return for longer and longer periods of time.
Solstice is coming up. Are you ready?
Rumor has it that Pere Noel is in the area and may be making an appearance, especially for the benefit of our granddaughter. We hope she doesn't get too scared by the unusually dressed fellow.
An amazing thing:
In my work, I have reached the point where Pod and Vod casting are going to be required in the course that I teach. So-o-o-o, being a loyal Amazon.com purchaser, and after first checking to see if Apple recommends any books on their site (they don't), I ordered "Videoblogging for Dummies", and when noticing the Author's name, Stephanie Bryant, a small click was felt in my brain, but not a strong enough one to cause me to do anything at that moment.
However, about 30 minutes later, when I was finished researching what I was going to buy to help me with Vod casting, my eye caught the link to Stephanie Bryant's profile. Guess what?
We know her! Fairly well actually *:-) She is a good friend to our son and we have been to parties and gatherings when Stephanie is present, and she also is a handspinner, and she and my wife, who is a fiber artist, have spent time sharing about that pursuit.
How cool! I know a published author who just put out a Dummies book! *:-)
It'll be neat to see her next time, and have a chat about the whole process. By the way, she is a very nice person, IMHO, and doesn't exhibit, at least in front of me, some of the characteristics that can make some authors onerous to be around.
Congratulations Stephanie! *:-) There is a link to Stephanie's Amazon Profile page on this post by clicking on the title.

2 comments:

Mortaine said...

How terrific! Now you'll have to tell me, because your blog doesn't give enough of a clue to your identity.... did your son recently move to Nevada, perchance?

Mortaine said...

Heh-- nevermind. Just saw the post about the granddaughter, and I'm pretty sure I know which "friend's dad" this is. Awesome!