Monday, June 25, 2007

Foggy Journey, Metamorphosis Affective Disorder, Moodlum

The virtual dust & residue thicken on the few artifacts of the old workplace still standing, but all the windows are broken, letting the fog into the structure, which gets blown back out through the disintegrating roof. Senior managers are now feeling the loss, which I am hereby naming "Metamorphosis Affective Disorder" -"MAD" [(c) 2007 OurAutumnBlog] because some of them got reduced in grade, and some of them have had to lay their people down. The senior managers are depressed, and this is dangerous for those of us who have already moved past the moment of destruction which happened last week, and are working hard to build a new starship. I am preparing 6 trainings for staff development to support the changes that are happening, and I hosted a meeting for the managers today, and the trainings all got thumbs up, but when I said I only wanted those who have been kept to attend the trainings, immediate resistance was spoken by the managers, who want to let those who have been laid off but are working out their 2 month severance work life "be let down gently, and to still feel part of the workplace". I understand their desire, but I don't want to waste time & energy on people who will be negative coming in to the trainings and won't give anything back after the training. I will probably lose this one *:-)

Last Friday I got a call from a colleague at my former workplace, both of us veterans of the US Army, and he said the local VA office has been trying to get in touch with me. I interviewed with the local VA office for a Veteran's Service Representative position, and I placed first in all the assessments, including the face to face interview. They wanted me, and talked to me, but then at the last moment a senior VSR from another city in this state wanted to spend his last year of service on the coast, where he wanted to retire, so he bumped me and they didn't get to hire anyone and had to take him. Possibly he has retired now, and maybe they want me to go back through the process. Don't know. I found all the info this evening and will call them tomorrow *:-)

I plan to get certified in Moodle (becoming a "Moodlum"), so if anyone out there knows of any reason I would be wasting my time doing so, please let me know *:-)

No comments: