Thursday, June 14, 2007

TGFT, Apple Store, Mad Hatter

Wow, what a week....

Thank God For Trance, which keeps my brain slate clean, so I can catch all the data coming in and process it as quickly as possible.

Fabulous, just fabulous, results for my wife from her natural dye workshop...the colors are truly some of the most beautiful I have ever seen....way to go *:-)

I got to visit an Apple Store for the very first time! I loved it! I want to go back! I want to take my wife! My MacBookPro was down to 84MB of available space, which means I could not do anything. It has been getting worse and worse for several months now, and although I researched diligently, spent an entire Saturday looking at the size of every file on the machine, I could not find the huge block of space that was not available. I gave up. I booked an appointment with the Genius Bar, and took it in. It took even the genius 1.5 hours to fix it, but it is totally ok now. Way back, more than a year ago, because I work for a government organization and sometimes have data about minors on my machine, I had set up File Vault to always run, and boy did it ever do a good job *:-) File Vault had diligently locked up 68.4GB, yes, that's GigaBytes, of data, and was in the process of consuming nearly my whole hard drive, but it couldn't be seen with the properties tools that I had on the standard software on the mac. The Genius Bar guy used "WhatSize", a shareware tool, to determine where the problem was, and then we spent a lot of time figuring strategies to be able to do anything since the mac was nearly completely locked up on disk space. I had my 120GB external drive with me, and we were able to use that to move stuff around. Deleting the files, once they had been moved, took 23 minutes just for that. I picked up one small software package while I was at the store to enhance my Keynote stuff, and then went back to work. That same night, I was so happy that I stayed up until 1 a.m. creating the Keynote preso I was to give the next day. Very cool. I am happy to have my mac back *:-) I also purchased the ProCare card, which is very excellent looking, and have already used it to get one of our other, older macs in for the annual tune up. Like I said, I am happy *:-)

I wore a "Mad Hatter" top hat today, complete with the little paper notice sticking out of the brim, for the presentation I gave. The presentation was well received *:-)

Have Fun *:-)

No comments: