Friday, July 06, 2007

Swamp Slogging: Parsing The Puerile Poop

Arghhhh. Hour after hour listening to the ping-pong outpourings of the staff member who considers himself an expert in all things computer, but really just wants to be loved by everybody. I am responsible for putting together a training that will allow normal everyday staff members to migrate our online courses from one LMS to another. The staff member has the job title that makes him the "expert" & therefor he was able to talk our boss into letting him do the so called "training" to get things started, & my boss, who knows very well that he won't really train anyone, but will just show them, forced him to have me in the room also using a digicam to capture his poop, & then I have to make an actual training out of it. The staff member does no prep, using no script, does not do a needs analysis, and just wanders around through the app arbitrarily showing the attendees stuff he remembers how to do. Obviously, sitting through a session like that is hell for me, & not only that, but now I am reviewing the 1 hour, 49 minute & 23 second video over & over, trying to pull together a training out of it. I have already realized that the two key learning objectives that our boss jointly told us must be accomplished, have not even been touched. I will need to write a biting email this weekend that shows we still have at least one, maybe two, more sessions to go.

I was sitting on my throne this morning mentally suffering because I didn't know how to proceed with the video project, & then my loving wife spent time with me & talked to me for a while, which loosened my mind, & then I was given the insight that I won't actually be able to finish the training materials this weekend, as I had wanted to, but instead I will need to create a story board and script, & then show where the holes are. That allowed me to come up to my office here at home and get started wading through the swamp again. Thanks, sweetie *:-)

No comments: