Wednesday, October 17, 2007

24 Hours Of Microsoft; Absent Without Leave; Trance Trances

My colleague, who is our IT Manager, IM'd me from her home at 5:59 pm on Tuesday night (I leave at 6) & asked if I was still there. I was. Her pager had just gone off letting her know that the server that keeps SharePoint going had just crashed. I had noticed that I couldn't log out but hadn't figured out what had happened yet. She asked me to go to the data center & check it out, which I did, & found serious error messages on the console. She said it was too serious for her to walk me through it so she would have to come in, & I went home. She ended up staying until 10 pm, with no progress, so she called her boss & asked him if he needed her to stay all night, & he said no, just go home & deal with it in the morning. She had already placed the order for a replacement drive from Dell, & we have 4 hour service on that server, so the part would be there at 8 am. That gave her a 14 hour day on Tuesday. She arrived at 8 am today & the part was here, & she called Microsoft. Heh. Yeah, she called Microsoft. Heh. She had the headset on all day, & had to sit in her chair waiting for the SQL people to talk to the SharePoint people, & then check with her, then talk to each other again. This went on until 5:45 pm this evening, at which point she gave up & told the Microsofties that we would pick it up in the morning, & she would rebuild the hardware overnight in preparation. That, is a long couple days.

Our newly appointed Facilities Manager, the one who came in drunk last Friday & is best friends with the Acting Interim Executive Director, decided to take the afternoon off, even though there were workmen on contract that report to her, busy in the facility. What a f)&(^&&*(^(*g disaster. I got pissed off, & would not do her work for her, & just kept telling the guys to give her a call because she is in charge & "we know nothing". Oh well.

I had to work late tonight to finish a kind of tough keynote (powerpoint) that I will give tomorrow, & the only thing that kept me going was the awesome trance that I have downloaded over the last week or so. Really fine stuff *:-)

No comments: