Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Scary Day; Luchador Photo-Op; Granddaughter Takes A Peek

With my wife's great help, I launched into this Dia De Los Muertos (Halloween) with gusto & an early start this morning. My wife was up extra early so she could put the finishing touch on my toque at 5 am, & then helped me get fully into costume at 8 for my workday starting at nine. I walked in the front door at work & the receptionist, who sits about 15 yards away from the door, gasped & reacted with fright when she saw my outfit, which is actually quite frightening, & the reaction is of course exactly what I hoped for. It went that way for the rest of the day *:-) Nobody knew who was inside the costume until I spoke, so it is a good one.

When I knocked on my bosses door for the first time this morning to check in with him, he had the Acting Executive Director in with him & my boss took a quick look at me in my stuff, grabbed his luchador mask, which was very good, & got the AED to take our picture, feigning a battle, & it looks darn good as a photo *:-)

I had a sponsored company lunch time costume potluck to go to at noon, & I snuck out just a little early, although it is pretty hard to sneak looking the way I did, so that I could try to catch some time with my grandkids while my wife was still watching them in their home here in town. I got there, but my daughter in law would not let me in & would not let the kids see me because she said I looked too scary & it would frighten them. I mentioned "Well, yeah, that's the point", but she didn't agree & so my wife came out onto the front porch & she & I talked for a little bit & then since I wasn't going to get inside, & had the potluck to get to, I began to leave, but stopped at the bottom of the front porch steps & turned & looked back, & just exactly as I did that, my granddaughter flew across the room past her "guardian" mom, threw back the front door curtains, & stood looking straight at me & got the full frontal shot of the Chef Dia De Los Muertos, & I think that is a good thing. My wife said she didn't cry or get upset or anything. She's cool *:-)

The kids got into town for a little costumed walk around while my wife was there, & then their dad (my son) traveled the long distance from his work so they could go trick or treating in their neighborhood, which they did to the delight of our granddaughter, who in turn delighted all who saw her at the houses they visited. I am very grateful that my son got to be with his kids at Halloween *:-)

No comments: