Wednesday, May 02, 2007

AIED Sneak Attack

I was blind sided by the Acting Interim Executive Director (AIED) during my last hour of work today. I am hourly, and must work until 6 p.m. each night, so I can't just walk out the door when I feel like it without losing money. Anyway, everyone else had gone home and I was taping some network cable to the floor so nobody would trip over it, and I looked up and the AIED was standing there and so I said hello. She wanted to know how the big 5 month long project I am leading is going, and the problem with that is that she should be getting those updates from my boss. I responded that I had been keeping my boss informed and that I hoped he was telling her how things are going, and then I said that all information so far is very positive and that I believe things are going well. She made a "Well good for you" remark, and then left the area. That didn't help me. Part of the reason I don't like senior management communicating directly with lower level employees like me is that we don't speak the same language, and mis-interpretation is very easy to occur. Also, since she is the one (heaven help us) who is actually making the list of who gets laid off and who doesn't, I believe it is inappropriate for her to talk directly to someone like me about my job performance without my boss in attendance. I have enough experience to fully understand what this sort of communication is really all about, and I don't like it. I would prefer that senior management STFU and if they want to know specifics then go to my boss and get them where they will have been placed in appropriate context. End of rant *:-)

No comments: