Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Flossing Works!

Oh...you knew that? Oh...sorry. I did not believe it, and I had not believed it for many many years, starting in the year floss was invented *:-) Six months ago, my new dental hygienist exhibited positively obvious enthusiasm in the way she flossed my teeth for me at the end of my appointment six months ago, and then told me that I had to go on a shorter cycle of cleanings, up to every four months instead of every six. I said, "Uh, how can I avoid that, since the company I work for will only pay for two cleanings per year, and also it is a very long drive to the dentist office?" She told me then, that there was a possible chance I could stay on the every six month schedule if I would floss, and that she was willing to give me another chance, and also that she would show me how to do it. I took the bait, had the lesson, which truly was a different way than anyone had shown me before, evaluated and tried several floss brands and types, chose one, and left the office with what might have been my last six month return ticket.
The floss she and I chose is Oral-B Satin Floss, made in Ireland. I flossed, just as taught, as much as I could, which ended up being 162 days out of the possible 180. She did not remember all this when I sat in the chair today, and she started cleaning my teeth, completing just one of the back molars, before she glanced over at my chart and then asked me point blank, somewhat incredulously "Have you been flossing?" How sweet was that sound *:-) I described my practice and faithful activity level, and she completed my cleaning and said that I did not have any "pockets" over 4, which previously had all been 6's and 7's, and she said that was excellent, and when the dentist himself did his overview, he said "No problems, good job!" Cool. It works. I'll do it *:-)

No comments: