Thursday, January 04, 2007

I am Microwave Water Certified (MWC)

Yesterday I used tap water to make my tea...a wretched, and nearly wretching, experience *:-(
Late in the afternoon I happened to go by the lunchroom and observed a person, clearly more intelligent than I, using the lunchroom microwave to heat up her tea water. Voila! The light bulb went off! I took my scummy tea cup, rinsed it out, ran into the office complex lobby to get some decent filtered water from the drinking fountain, hurried back to the microwave, put the cup of water into the microwave...and then was halted by the array of choices of cooking times on the auto-select panel. We don't use a microwave at home (there is an old one in the basement) other than when my wife does strange things to fibers, and I had zero experience with heating water in one. Not wanting to admit defeat, and with trepidation, I chose "Soups/Beverages", which ended up being a 1 minute cook time. It was not the right choice. After fooling around, I have determined that 2 minutes is the right tea water heating time, and I now stride confidently into the lunchroom with my lobby-drinking-fountain water, and heat it up for 2 full minutes and then place my tea bag in the water and stride confidently out. I am now Microwave Water Certified *:-) Truly a great day for mankind, at least until the bottled water guy gets the water here so I can go back to using the hot tap on the water dispenser.

No comments: