Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Chief Warlord Returns To Dictatorial Ways, Neighbor Loses It

I'm fucking emotionally exhausted.

At 4:57 p.m. this evening, 3 minutes before the doors closed on my workplace (although I, alone, work until 6 p.m.), the South Swamp Acting Interim Executive Director comes into my cubicle, sits down, & hands me official papers that she says require my signature & that are going to HR. First, I don't report to her, & she has been asked in the past not to come directly to us with official, signature needing documents, but to go through our bosses, but she came direct anyway, because she let the deadline pass on the documents & needs them NOW (can you hear her?). Second, the papers attached to the official document are two revisions down from the ones that my boss & I have worked out over the last two weeks, & the attached docs contain job requirements that I will not perform for the money they are paying me. I have made it clear that the docs need to change & my boss has agreed, but apparently hasn't turned in the new docs yet (I confirmed this with my boss later this evening). I explained this, but she stated that I needed to sign now. She said she would talk to my boss. She has a reputation for having both selective & short memory capability, so I am concerned. I asked her if I could trust her to take care of exchanging the docs, & she said yes, so I signed. After she walked away, a colleague, who has been at the University of Blueberry Syrup for nearly six years, and has worked with her for about 4 years, asked me if I signed. I said yes. My colleague said I was stupid for doing so, because the Acting Interim Executive Director won't remember her commitment for more than 5 minutes, or until the first distraction comes up, whichever happens first. Great, I'm screwed. I sent an email right away to my boss, who is out of the office until next week, & surprisingly he must have been checking his email because he responded & said he agreed with me & that he understood & that he would send an email to the Acting Interim Executive Director tonight telling her that the revised docs must be sent to HR, not the ones that were attached to the item I signed. So. Maybe I'm not screwed.

Ok, done deal, I thought. I arrive home & am unloading some garden fence that I will be using to make the woodshed I am building look nicer, & my neighbor yells my name, violently, from his driveway. I ignore him & keep unloading the truck. He walks over to within a few inches of me & yells my name loudly & violently directly into my ear. I don't like that *:-) We have a screaming argument for about 20 minutes, which scares my wife to death, & in the process my neighbor destroys some temporary posts I have put in around the perimeter of my woodshed, & he threatens me with one of the posts. My wife, despite being truly frightened for my life, is absolutely brilliant (after I spend one minute of the 20 minutes screaming at HER to get back in the house & to stay away from the argument), & she comes out with her digital camera & actually got pictures of the neighbor destroying my posts & threatening me. Very cool. Thank you, wife *:-) Anyway, I ignore him except for screaming back at him, get into & park my truck, & go into my house, since he is becoming very violent & his dog, which has been reported to the authorities several times for attacking people (not by us) is getting very upset. My wife & I both take some rescue remedy, & retire to our upstairs dvd viewing room to start our evening together. About 30 minutes later, I hear & notice a county sheriff's car in the drive, & the county sheriff is talking to my neighbor. My wife listens to the conversation, & tells me that actually the neighbor is pretty much telling the truth. I suspect he is frightened that we have the photos, & had expected us to call the cops, so he did it first. Eventually the officer comes over to my house, & we spend some time on the deck discussing some options, & it is clear that the officer knows about the dangerous dog & the dangerous neighbor, so I don't push any unnecessary buttons. All is left where it was, with me refusing to agree to an unreasonable demand made by my neighbor, which the officer tells me I am under no obligation to comply with, & I assure the officer that I have no problem compromising but that I will not meet privately with the neighbor because he is dangerous, I am tired from work, & I don't fight on Wednesdays *:-) The officer is fine with that, & goes back over & tells the neighbor that he is not going to get what he wants, but that I won't exceed my prescribed limits either. Peace returns to our little valley, & we watch our dvd. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.

No comments: