Friday, August 24, 2007

Not Cat & Mouse, But Cat & Cat

Because I chose to follow a peaceful path in getting my fence built on the property line with my aggressive & violent neighbor, I now quietly walk away from my work if he happens to appear close by, or drives up unexpectedly. This is a completely new approach to conflict for me because I am accustomed to "meeting it head-on", with, of course, the usual consequences. Although it feels strange to quietly walk away from work that I have every right to do, & am doing in a peaceful way, I am aware that the larger environment around the work is highly flammable, & so I know I am doing the right thing for me. My new behavior also means that the progress on the fence is achieved in fits & starts, rather than one continuous project flow, which is a little wierd too. It is as if there are two cats needing to use the same path, and to avoid conflict that might injure each, they take turns using the path & so far are being careful to avoid direct contact.

Some sort of metamorphosis is going on with me, as yet unclear. I will be patient & professional about it, & ask for help in understanding what I need to about it.

No comments: